Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pocket Aces: Adidas Goes "All In" With Viral Video

On September 24, I posted a prime example of viral video gone horribly, horribly wrong: The "Just Say Ja" campaign by The Swedish Diet.  Without repeating the details (in fact, the thought of doing so makes me cringe), the video is humorously bad.  If you have not watched it, check out my September 24 post ("Viral Video Gone Wrong: The Amazing Swedish Diet"), but remember, I warned you.

OK, now that I have finished my mini "venting-session," I have an apology to make.  After writing and "publishing" my post about the Swedish Diet, I felt immediate apprehension, as well as a hint of remorse.  In my haste to bash that ugly specimen of an advertisement, I had forgotten to show you a model of an entertaining, creative, and engaging viral video.  I know my neglect to post an outstanding example left you devastated, so let me make it up to you by taking a moment, or 2 minutes, actually, to show you what viral video should look like.  Take a look at this Youtube spot by Adidas:


Let me give you a moment to pick your jaw up off the floor.......Ready?
The "All In" campaign by Adidas possess all the qualities of a "buzzworthy" viral video:
  • Relevancy: The ad features examples from nearly every sport - Football, Running, Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Biking, Cheerleading (I don't agree with this one, but most people do), and whatever you want to call skateboarding off of large objects into in-ground swimming pools
  • Social Proof: Unless you live the life of a hermit, you probably recognized a few, if not many, celebrity endorsements - Anyone else see Katy Perry in there?!
  • Excitement: Backflips, crashes, fireworks, victory, and a brutal right hook...
  • Concise: To the point with minimal text - You do not need to have more than a few neurons to get it - Adidas has it all
  • High Audio and Video Quality: Great production value and a resonating soundtrack
"All In" effectively combines the above elements to form a single instance of genuinely "sticky" content.  Through its viral video, Adidas has definitely proven to me just how awesome its fitness apparel and shoes really are.  And, apparently, a lot of other people feel the same way:
  • The video currently enjoys approximately 2.3 million views on Youtube
  • The 1 minute version of "All In" ranked as number 5 on the August 25th AdAge Viral Video Chart.  Actually, 2 Adidas videos landed spots on the Ad Age charts for that week (the other one earned 2nd place, I just skipped it due to a personal bias for the "All In" ad)
That's the way to do it, Adidas.  I knew I selected you as my training apparel favorite for a reason.

Andrew's Advice - Training Tips, Nutrition Notes, And Healthy Habits

Healthy Habit (October 2, 2011):


Follow the lead of the Flintstones - Take your vitamins

I mean that metaphorically, of course.  I do not necessarily recommend that you start taking Flintstones vitamins (can you say added sugar?).  However, I do suggest that you heavily consider adding a few vitamin and mineral supplements to your daily intake.  Although you can obtain most of what you need by eating healthy food (aim to do this first), consuming added vitamins and minerals each day can help fill in the gaps that occur due to increased training and/or portion control.  Take a look at my daily vitamin cocktail to get an idea:
  •  B-100 Complex, Chromium Picolinate, and Niacin - Metabolism support and added energy
  • Glucosamine and Vitamin D - Bone, joint, and skin health
  • Potassium - Heart health
  • Vitamin C and E: Immune system health
  • L-Glutamine: Amino acid muscle fuel
  • Milk Thistle: Liver support
Note: You can find most of the above nutrients combined in a single, or double, dose multivitamin.

When it comes to vitamin and mineral supplements, the same rule I established for protein powders applies: High quality, nutrient dense food always comes first, supplements second.

Share your ideas: Leave a comment below, or message me via E-mail (snydeaab@uni.edu), Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn!

I'm all in, are you?

Andrew Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment